Piano can be the starting point of the music education for every person beginning from the age of 3 years old, because the piano is considered to be the ‘king’ of all instruments. The piano is the perfect tool for children’s development at the preschool age and elementary school age:
- To produce a sound on the piano and a keyboard is not as hard and challenging as on other instruments.
- It doesn’t require an established music ear to produce a correct sound, like the violin, but it is able to develop the music ear.
- The linear and regular placement of piano keys helps one to understand the rules of music notation.
- To play the piano, both a professional musician and young musician in training has to use both hands equally, and every finger has to work as hard as the others.
- The necessity to apply the vertical placing of music notes to the horizontal layout of the piano keys promotes spatial thinking in the piano player.
- Playing piano has the ability to develop symphonic thinking, like in an orchestra of multiple sounds. Because our perception of music is the perception of space in sounds, and vice versa, melody gives the feeling of time.
- Considering all of these advantages, the piano could become a tutor for every child learning the music language from early childhood through young adulthood.
Why Choose Piano Lessons at Old Town Music School
- Our faculty knows how to foster a student’s development of their musical talent.
- We apply a well-rounded approach that covers all aspects of learning to play the piano.
- The piano faculty of Old Town Music School tailors each lesson to a student’s interest while working on music theory, piano technique, sight-reading and more!
- In addition to classical music, students are also exposed to Jazz, Pop, Hymns, Broadway and other musical styles.
Violin, Viola and Cello Lessons
Old Town Music School’s unique program of combing the best of Suzuki and Traditional violin training means our expert violin and viola educator is equally committed to teaching instrumental technique and promoting holistic child development. We believe in instilling creativity, confidence, and a love of learning while nurturing brain development, spatial awareness, social skills, and child/parent relationships.
Violin and Viola Curriculum Core Values:
- Every child can develop musical talent.
- Music education begins early, through listening.
- An inclusive approach and a positive, nurturing environment
- promote holistic development and prepare children for success.
- Parents/guardians play a vital role in the learning process.
- Weekly individual instruction
- One mini recital opportunity each semester
- May begin at age 5
- Child learns note-reading from beginning
- No group classes; child develops self-motivation
- Parent/guardian is encouraged to attend weekly individual lessons
- Parent/guardian is encouraged to oversee practice
- Child may experience independence
- Optional student recitals
- Often integrates Suzuki materials with other repertoire
Why Choose Violin or Viola lessons at Old Town Music School
- Violin lessons at Old Town Music School feature a variety of styles, from Classical to popular music
- Our violin and viola Instructor is well-versed in many different styles and has the experience to help students become the violinists they want to be.
- Each lesson incorporates the fundamentals of sight-reading, intonation, technique and theory while incorporating students’ favorite songs at lessons.
- If a student is interested in playing in the school orchestra, our instructor can assist with middle school and high school auditions as well!
- All lessons at Old Town Music School are tailored to each student’s musical background and learning pace.
The core of your child’s piano, guitar, ukulele, violin, viola and/or voice instruction takes place during the weekly half-hour lesson. These lessons are one-on-one between your instructor and child.
Each student is expected to work on the skills and pieces as appropriate for their skill level during the days between their one-on-one lessons. (To make the repetition of regular practice more enjoyable we have a reward-based incentive program for our eager learners.)
Throughout the year, students meet in small groups to practice performing in front of a live audience. Performance practices are studied and reviewed with a few musical games played just for fun!. Classes are an hour in length. Private lessons are not held during Performance Class weeks.
Annual Performance Class Schedule
- September – Summer Star Pieces
- October – Halloween Music
- November – Holiday Program
- February – Student’s Choice Repertoire
- April – Favorite Repertoire
- May – Favorite Repertoire
Student recitals are offered twice during the school year. A Winter Recital in January or February and a Summer Recital in July or August. The Lyceum in Old Town Alexandria hosts both events. Only students who are prepared to perform in public are encouraged to participate. A dress code for all performing artists must be followed. Girls, dresses and Boys, coat and tie. Parents, guests, friends and fans are all invited to be a part of our audience. A reception follows to honor our young musicians.
To enroll your child in private piano, guitar, ukulele, violin, viola or cello lessons or for additional information, please contact:
Julie Zupan, Founder and Director
Old Town Music School
120 South Royal Street
Alexandria, Virginia 22314
9:00 am – 1:00 pm Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday
12:00 noon -1:00 and 2:00-3:00 Thursday
9:00 am – 3:00 pm Friday